Memory issues - "error type 2"

Hi Katie - I've been having "error of type 2" memory problems with one of my drawings. I'm currently running:

Mac OS 9.2.2

30 GB HD

512MB RAM

VW 9.5.3

I think the problem revolves around a chair in the drawing and more particularly the legs of the chair - it seems to fairly consistently experience the "error of type 2" at the same point in rendering (right before it gets to the chair legs; about 75-80% complete). The same drawing seemed to render all right with an earlier, simpler version of the chair - one with rectangular legs. The preferred object has cylindrical legs.

I've used the VW textures "chrome", "chrome plated", "polished steel" on the legs; I've tried varying degrees of mirror reflectivity; I've tried making the legs both solid add.s and left as extrudes and sweeps; I've tried using custom render with low, med., and high detail, ray traced and mapped shadows - the crash happens consistently if the recursion level is above 1; final renderworks doesn't work at all, nor does fast render with shadows.

I read through some of the other postings to do with memory problems and tried to apply the advice - I've set the min. memory from the suggested size all the way up to 400,000 and the preferred size all the way up to 700,000. I've tried having Virtual memory on and off, setting the limit of undos to 5, and the only other things running on my machine at the time are finder and launcher. I'm at a total loss, and desperate for advice!

Thanks,

Heather

Try rendering with Fast RW with Shadows and see if you still get the error message.

IF you don't, the problem is probably related to a bug in the rendering engine VW RenderWorks builds off of.

If that's the case, VW 10 can fix it ... or you can use Custom RenderWorks with the options set to anti-aliasing turned off.

An error type 2 can also be memory related or it can be an extension conflict.

[ 06-24-2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]