Clip Cube Wireframe Viewport (?)

trashcan

Question

Clip cube shows correctly in Design Layer renderer: Wireframe. 

Making a Viewport and Display With Clip Cube selected. 

Viewport shows the whole darn model!

Buggy-bug? Or is it supposed to work this way? 

I seem to remember that you could do Wireframe + Clip Cube in a VP

Plz halp

What gives? Any ideas? 

• Like 1

If I understand the question correctly... 

Whenever I create a VP from a CC, I can nav back to that CC.

Whenever I create a VP that's not from a CC, and then check that box, I can create a CC on that DL but I'll have right-click on the CC to create a new VP. That workflow is a bit like creating a section on a sheet layer (like most architects do).

It's a bit idiosyncratic but a CC section is a section, so it want to be hidden line.

Hopefully some of that is helpful.

• Like 1

Unless things have changed, then it is not possible to have a wireframe view of a ClipCube in a Viewport. The Viewport must be rendered in Shaded or a Renderworks Style.

You can get a good "Hidden Line" aproximation using the Lines and Shadows option of an Artistic Renderworks style.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, markdd said:

Mark - I think what @trashcanis referring to is the visibility of the clip cube inside a sheet layer viewport rather than making a section viewport from a clip cube face.

Totally get that. Thought that others stated that it won't work.

I think the closest way to fake wireframe (albeit the most expensive rendering time) would be a to use dashed hidden line (and possibly class the dashed line).

Or possibly shaded without textures or colors, grey layers set to 100%, and some other fiddling to get there.

1 minute ago, Andy Broomell said:

@Mark Aceto - we're not talking about Section Viewports at all. Just a view of a model that has Clip Cube enabled. When it comes to Wireframe mode, the Clip Cube works in the Design Layer environment, but as soon as you create a (regular!) viewport, the entire model is shown.

Sure but clipping a model is essentially creating a section view, so it's really just about faking the wireframe "render" of the clipped model (within the limitations of section viewports).

Correct.

4 minutes ago, trashcan said:

Hidden line doesn't honor Clip Cubes.

Correct. When it comes to Clip Cube:

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Shaded render works in both contexts [Design Layer & Viewports]. Renderworks works in both. Hidden Line works in neither. But Wireframe is inconsistent between the two...

For viewports I often use Shaded Background Render with Hidden Line Foreground Render. Since Cube Cube works with one but not the other, the results are not good 😅

Ideally, one day Clip Cube will work in ALL contexts, thus removing any sort of inconsistency. But I'm sure there are technical limitations which makes this difficult to implement.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

there are also a lot of options buried in the advanced section settings and class settings

the reason i mentioned dashed hidden line is because that will reveal the... ahem... hidden lines (to look more like wireframe)

and there might be some other ways to juice the shaded options

@michaelkis the jedi master of this (and autohybrid settings / classes)

fake it till you make it!