Need some help with a texture

ionw

Hello Ion,

I'm not an architect (and I don't know what a KallWall system is), and I have to say I'm having my own problems with RW and translucency at the moment -see my post on shadows and solid objects:-( , but I've been using translucent textures to represent perforated stainless recently with some similar issues to solve.

Have you tried applying a darker object attribute colour to the wall, turning up the transparency a bit to compensate for the darker shade and the light source up a bit to get it to penetrate the darker colour?

good luck

N.

I would like to make a translucent texture. What I want to model is the light coming through a KallWall system. I played with the transparent settings, the only problem is that is an opacity slider and provides detail that I don't want to see. At the moment I have a texture that gives me the amount of light, but doesn't obscure details enough.

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello ionw:

You might try creating a texture that uses a Dielectric shader for the transparent effects (it's actually under Reflectivity) and then use a Simple Rough Bump shader to bend the light rays to "fuzz out" the details.

I tried these settings and it doesn't look bad. I used the texture on a 3D Polygon; using it on a wall didn't work so well because walls have front and back surfaces and the light rays will bounce around a lot more, giving you extra reflections.

Dielectric:

Turned up ambient and diffuse, turned down specular

Set mirror to 10%, refraction around 15%

Simple Rough:

Scale 0.1

Amplitude 40%

Detail 80%

HTH,

Here's my best Kalwall to date

-

Its actually done with the Constant shader. Over time I've come to realize that you cant see thru Kalwall so you don't want any transparency. What you want is for the material to look illuminated. The constant shader makes it appear glow, remember that it won't emit light, so you have to add light sources to fake the transmission of light thru the kalwall. The lines in the kalwall were done using the grid color option under the color shader and making it fuzzy under the grid color options.

Now if you want to see shadows thru it like a Japanese screen, I've had good results faking the shadows onto an image based texture in photoshop, rather than trying to get Renderworks to do the work. The Renderworks rendering engin just isn't capable of doing this type of effect on its own.

Good Luck

[ 06-03-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: MikeB ]