Modeling roof ridge and hip cappings/tiles

On 8/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, Christiaan said:

Am I right in saying this won't work with Roof Faces?

Sorry, bit late back on this one now, but....

I'm on 2018 remember but surely it will be the same (better, some would say) for you - it works with roof faces as long as they touch correctly. Easiest way to test is build a simple roof and break it to roof faces,

image.thumb.png.76f03521c706efc58bc4a7eca70d59cd.png

As one might assume...

Highlighting a single surface can only be framed with rafters/purlins (plates seem to be a little sketchy - I think because constuctionally they are half lapped at the corners). 

Choosing 1/3 will allow a (shared) ridge.

Choosing 1/2/3 will allow the framer to also create the (shared) hip timbers and plates tend to be happier.

For my 2p, I favour the complete roof with no need to have separate faces and then use the framer with custom profile, but I guess you are working to produce something different? Duplication of the roof onto a temp working layer then breaking to faces could be a good working practice - create and extract ridge/hip tiles and then throw the layer away. I don't like too much detail as once the hips, valleys and ridges are looking better I feel the need to make the roof tiles better reflect their form - a rabbit hole without fees!

Couldn't help but to also comment .....

On 8/17/2022 at 2:16 PM, Christiaan said:

Haha, indeed. Chorleywood.

The source of the phrase - 'they made a complete Chorley of that one'. (I'll get my coat)

(Edit: duplicate images)

image.png

Edited by Gadzooks
  • Like 1