Ultrawide display (for Apple Silicon Mac)

• Our current setup is 3 displays: 4K iMac + 2x Cinema Displays (1680 x 1050)
  • While it's great having the two additional displays they're not as useful as they could be because I don't use them for VW, because of their low resolution.
  • And VW + macOS can sometimes struggle with multiple displays. So having one display would make things more stable.
  • Given that we're probably going to switch to a Mac Studio or Mac Pro (and the considerable cost of the less than stellar Studio Display) it seems like our next displays should be a third party ultrawide.
  1. Is there anything we need to keep in mind when considering ultrawides for Vectorworks, and particularly for Mac and Apple Silicon machines?
  2. What's it like working with a curved display in Vectorworks? Wouldn't a flat ultrawide be better suited to Vectorworks?
  3. Are there any 5K ultrawide displays that can scale properly using this interface (rather than the other interface, which is a list of resolution sizes)?
    517062978_Screenshot2022-08-15at23_06_36.png.57d9432bcf6b4e3c295aa66a9497b45a.png

Edited by Christiaan

YouTube has been suggesting some ultrawide display reviews. Namely the LG 40WP95C-W:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrkY5SgXi1w

Which as far as I can tell is very good.

Pros:

• Excellent colour
  • Huge, with great resolution. Not 'Retina Display' but I probably won't see the pixels.
  • Thunderbolt 4 and no power brick
  • Full tilt n tun stand as standard
  • Subtle curve, not too much wrap around
  • Quite like the idea of being able to daisy chain two of these displays together. Is that getting greedy? 😆 

Cons:

• Biggest con is that it's not the brightest (which also negates the HDR)
  • Seems like proper macOS scaling is still a problem 
  • Can't control volume from keyboard
  • Built-in speakers not as good as Apple's built-ins
  • No web cam
  • It uses close to 3x the energy of Apple's Studio Display, or more than that in HDR mode, and in fact more than Apples Pro Display XDR.
Edited by Christiaan
10 hours ago, E|FA said:

As with the LG 40WP95C-W the peak brightness is quite low. The 32" in particular might not be bright enough in a bright room. It also makes a bit of a mockery of the HDR feature because it can't produce bright areas. I may be wrong, because I'm just regurgitating what I've read elsewhere, but I believe with HDR you need at least 600 nits, ideally 1000, otherwise it can't display a white that differentiates enough from grey.

They might be good displays in practice but I don't know that you'd be truly getting HDR.

Edited by Christiaan