Jagged Edges on Rendering

thx1432

ARe the objects jagged or are the shadows jagged?

If it's the shadoes, what do you have for the Shadows setting in CRW Options?

Do you have Ray Tracing turned on?

If you do, what do you have it set for?

The objects themselves were jagged, I use raytracing, and have recursion maxed out at 9.

I may have solved my issue for the moment: In the 'document preferences'>raster render I punched up the printing DPI to 1,000; that seemed to smooth out the jagged edges.

This took about about 1/2 hr to render and print. My subsequent question is this: how do I save a rendering, at the resolution described above, that can be printed at this high resolution without having to re-render each time I want to print?

Thank you,

You can either print to file, and keep re-using the plot file, or you can generate an image and keep printing that (bringing a large image into VW creates a huge file size, but works, or you can print from Photoshop or some such program).

1,000 dpi is probably overkill, though. What was the low dpi that looked lousy?

[ 05-15-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Kristen ]

Thanks again. I'll try the 'print to file' option first. But I still have a question about exporting a rendering to Photoshop: at what resoltion settings should I use to get a crisp image? AND, I had half a mind that 1,000 DPI was over the top. I had originally tried printing at the default which is 72 DPI. What DPI size would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dan

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Dan:

Try using the Render Bitmap Tool, in the Rendering palette.

You can drag a rectangular marquee to render an area at a specified (page) DPI resolution. Then you won't have to wait for rerendering operations while laying out these bitmap objects for presentation purposes.

The Render Bitmap Tool uses the current Custom RW settings for its rendering.

I would say 200-300 DPI is good enough for printed output. Anything greater is a waste of time, probably.

When I export renderings I usually export them at about 3000 pixels wide by 2000 pixels tall with the dpi set at 300. This will give me a nice sharp image printed out of photoshop at 11 x 17, and can be blown up to around 30" wide to plot on our HP 455 CA (Large format plotters plot at signifigantly lower dpi then smaller printers, so an image printed on our Hp 455 at 150 dpi looks the same as an image printed at 300 dpi)

I do this by using the "export image file" command under the "export" options under the "file" menu. The two numbers in the upper left hand corner of the export image dialogue are the pixel dimension, they are constrained, so setting one will automatically set the other.

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

If you plan on making large prints to be seen from a distance you can export at a lower DPI. For "boardroom" type presentations I have often exported 24" wide renderings at 150-180 dpi with completely acceptable results. The images, mounted on boards and placed on the walls, were often viewed from about 5 feet away, and the fine detail of a higher-resolution rendering would have been largely lost in that situation.

Dan J.

My 2 cents:

The print shop I'm working with uses LAMDA printing device, which gives the best photo quality prints I've seen. The operator of the LAMDA told me that going over 150 DPI is not necessary. Since getting that tip I'm printing in 150 and getting excellent results, and my Pentium keeps in room temperature :-)

The operator also told me that she ask the same 150 DPI from Photoshop, freehand etc. users as well.

I don't know if this tip is relevant to other printing devices, but if not try using LAMDA it is not expensive and the results are amazing.