There's no such thing as a colour "style", right?

Ideally I want to be able to define a certain colour - let's call it "special green" and then apply it to the pen in various things - including what's defined in certain classes but also as a class override in some viewports.

But I'd like to do this in such a way that if I then change the exact colour of "special green" then it changes everywhere. Am I right to think that's not actually possible?

(Data vis doesn't help me, because it would have to apply to viewports which already have another data vis applied to them, and this seems not to work.)

I believe you could create a named color.  Then apply that named color to classes and objects.  When that “special green” needed to be adjusted a little, you would then do so in the color definition rather than with the color picker.  I’ve made custom color pallets in vectorworks, so I’m guessing based on that experience.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 1

Hm, but when I tell VW I want something to be "special green" will it just copy those values over, or will it know it needs to update it if I change "special green" in the future?

Only one way to find out I guess.

(One slightly disappointing thing about viewport class overrides is that while you can "import" the values from some other class, they are just copied and won't get updated automatically. There are quite a few situations where it would be useful to be able to ask VW to draw one class as if it were another, in certain viewports, and have it all keep itself up to date in the future)

14 hours ago, line-weight said:

Hm, but when I tell VW I want something to be "special green" will it just copy those values over, or will it know it needs to update it if I change "special green" in the future?

Unfortunately the answer is that it simply copies the values over.

I can create a custom palette with named colours, and I can edit those colours in the custom palette. I can make a colour called "special green".

But if I apply one of them to an object, and then go back to the custom palette and edit the definition, nothing happens to the object that has he colour applied to it.

I can manually go to the object, and change it to the (redefined) colour in the custom palette, but now I have two different colours both named "special green" (under "colors in active document" in the color palette manager). The color Palette manager does not allow me to edit colors in "colors in active document".

• Like 1

If Materials allowed the defining of pen attributes as well as texture + fill then you could kind of do what you're looking for but you'd also probably want the capacity to apply Materials to classes which you also can't currently do (but which I believe has been requested if I remember correctly...). So not much help there

• Like 1

Well, the best workaround I can think of so far (which at least sort of works for things in viewports) is to make a design layer viewport which (using class overrides) changes the colour to the new colour I want.

Then I can make multiple sheet layer viewports of that design layer viewport. And each of those can have different data vis applied to them - but if I want to change my "special" colour(s) then I only have to change it in the design layer viewport, and it'll pass through to all the sheet layer viewports (as long as I tick the embedded viewport class overrides box).