BIM Shared Coordinates

Hi all, 

I have approached this project elsewhere with some useful feedback but I'm still after a simple solution or if there isn't one, then a reason to challenge the BIM plan given to us by our client. 

As usual the BEP is Revit centric as the BIM coordinator isn't familiar with VW. 

We have been given shared coordinates which I paste below. 

Question: How can I set up my VW file to align with these shared coordinates? If its not possible then a quick reason why so I can feedback to the BIM coordinator would be helpful. 

I can do things partially by manually moving our model into position over their building but as usual the architect has drawn their building orthogonal not to true north hence the true north angle in the provided shared coordinates. Landscape is further down the food chain in our contract so we MUST align our model to match the architect's. The only excuse we have is if its simply not possible. Obviously if I rotate our model to match, we lose our coordinates as the User Origin doesn't rotate. 

We can get it in position but the angle to true north is where I'm lost. If I change the angle to true north of my model (using the georeferencing tool) then my x,y coords for a given location don't change. Its as if iv'e not changed anything. 

image.png.ec8146742c73507d12d87730557fdfe5.png

Many thanks in advance,

Jack

I may have exhausted any help I'll get on this but I have found a solution that is both simple but also feels a bit vulnerable to mess-ups. 

1. Make sure your User Origin is temporarily aligned to the Internal Origin.
  2. Import their model.
  3. Provided your Internal Origins are aligned which on this project both ours and the architect are (even though they have a Revit project base point (I don't know why they are still aligned to my default 0,0 Internal Origin but they are)) then that will be the position they want you to align to.
  4. Set your UO back to the relative position to give you true coordinates in your file that is aligned true north. 
  5. Draw a cross or symbol at the UO so you can move both this and your model and retain a marker to align the UO with after moving.
  6. Move the UO cross/symbol and your model over the Architect's Revit model using common reference point - ideally building grid. 
  7. Rotate your model to match the architect's alignment (losing your NE coordinates in the rotation). Make a note of the exact rotation angle.
  8. Set your UO to the cross/symbol 
  9. Now if you read off a coordinate it will be wrong because the UO doesn't rotate like this. 
  10. Use the axis tool at the top of the screen to change the top plan angle of view to true north (using the rotation angle noted earlier). This is very similar to UCS in AutoCad. Might need to rotate the axis around the Internal Origin but not sure yet.
  11. Now your coordinates will be correct again because the coordinate system follows the axis tool rotation. 

The only issue is the axis view rotation keeps defaulting back to true north when I change view. Maybe there is a way to lock the axis for design layers or something?

Thankfully the architecture practice on another project has aligned their building to true north and uses real world location so we won't have to do this dance.

Thanks all for previous help.

Edited by Jack2022