tree's for renderings

I prefer to take photos of real trees and use them in photoshop with a VWS final rendering. They look so much better. It seems like all the tree 3d models I have seen are not that great. They look like the fake christmas trees you see in drugstores at christmas time. There is a program that generates very realistic trees called Tree by Onyx Computing. Check out their web site: http://www.onyxtree.com The more realistic the trees, the bigger the file size, so it gets out of hand very quickly. Also the program is not cheap but it's the best i have seen. You can also use pictures of real trees to make your own 3d model by texture mapping the photos onto flat planes and placing them into your model.

• 1 month later...

"You can also use pictures of real trees to make your own 3d model by texture mapping the photos onto flat planes and placing them into your model."

If you're using VW10 with RenderWorks, you can also use a photo image of a tree to create an image prop, which is a 3-D object with a texture and transparency automatically mapped correctly. You also have the option of having the image prop automatically rotate toward the camera (or viewer) when rendering in various views (so that you don't see it on-edge, thus revealing its skinny side).

Dan J.

www.imageprops.com

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Another way you could get trees into RW is to render them using something that does good natural trees like Vue D'Esprit (download the demo version) and use the image of the tree to create an Image Prop in VW/RW.

This can be easier than finding a real tree with good lighting in front of a monochrome background or editing a picture in Photoshop.

• 4 weeks later...