File won't render

Do you get an error message?

There is a blue bar in the upper right hand corner of the application window that tells you the stages of rendering. What stage is it when it "fails" ?

What rendering mode is being used?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by thx1432:

I'm working on a file, and about 4 hours or so into it, it now fails to render at all. Can anyone help?

Four hours into rendering it, or four hours into modelling it?

It's generally easiest to fix these sorts of problems if you contact tech support directly, especially if you're willing to send a copy of your file. It may be there's a particular object in your drawing that VectorWorks is having trouble with.

Also, what rendering mode(s) are you using?

As I'm doing the model, I do test renderings (opengl, fast renderworks, etc.). So I'm modelling for a while, go to do a quick render, and it will not render in any of the modes.

And here's today's glitch: I'm working on a different model, test rendering as I go as usual. I've added a few new walls, applied textures, and the newly added wall won't render. the older objects render, but not the new.

You can only render the objects of one layer at a time.

Are the "new" objects on a layer other than the current active layer?

When you say you render, then go modeling, then go back to rendering and it won't render - what rendering mode is being used?

If you close VW and open it again, will it render?

No, nothing changes if I close the program and reopen it.

Now, I'm pretty new at this Vectorworks thing, just a few weeks of seriously trying to produce renderings; so it may be that I'm just not understanding something, missing a setting.

My main issue at this point is this: I build a model out of mainly walls and extrusions. I apply textures, these textures appear in the 'Object Info' palette. When I attempt to render, in any of the modes, nothing happens. Also, when I attempt Hidden Line render, the lines that should be hidden are not.

This is where I'm at..........

Dan

Sorry if this is a dumb suggestion, but do the objects that don't render have a solid fill in the attributes palette? I've run into that before, and then realized that the object's fill was "none", and it needs to be "solid" in order to render in any mode, or to show its texture.

Along with Kristen's good tip, make sure the objects you want to render are on the current ACTIVE layer.

When rendering, only the current active layer is rendered. If the active layer is a blank layer or has 2d objects, the layer you want to be rendered will not render.

If you still can't get it to work, email the file to me and I'll help you work the issue out.

tech@nemetschek.net?subject=ATTN:Katie

[ 05-09-2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]