Show Section Marker in Elevations Viewports?

As the title says, I want Section Markers showing up automatically in elevation viewports, as easily (cough cough) as grid lines/ bubbles do, even with the graphic manipulation needed. All my section marker classes are on in the VPs.

I know I'm missing something utterly simple. Thanks.

These shown here are manually placed (and properly linked thanks to @Matt Panzer setting me straight). This will be a royal pain with dozens of sections to manually locate.

image.thumb.png.950c1e24e3052beb55bd3920c3cc827c.png

2 hours ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

Thanks.

It's as if VW doesn't talk to experienced architects when they setup a tool's features and functionality and how we really use it.

^^^^ 100% ^^^^

I haven’t tried this to confirm, but I think if you manually place a Reference Marker in the elevation SLVP, you can link it back to the Section SLVP - so that at least if the number / sheet of the section changes it should change on the elevation as well.

Reference Markers are found on the Dims/Notes Tool Set.

• Like 1

The problem with linked section markers iis that they don’t move if the section position is changed.

A suggestion is to have a plan with live markers aligned above or below your elevation viewports just off your page. You can then check and realign the markers in your elevation views as need be.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Boh said:

The problem with linked section markers iis that they don’t move if the section position is changed.

A suggestion is to have a plan with live markers aligned above or below your elevation viewports just off your page. You can then check and realign the markers in your elevation views as need be.

But they could move, like a Grid line does, if VW programmed it to. The section markers already live on the same design layer as the grid so I can display them in any plan view.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Boh said:

Absolutely. My suggestion was only meant as a workaround to have at least the number & sheet to be kept in sync with the Section SLVP.

VW will have enhance the current Section Line functionality so that they can show up automatically in a SLVP like Grid Lines.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

What's this easy grid markers you speak of?

Last known feature in that direction didn't seem any easier that having a symbol with the full grid marker run including section markers.

Features seem tied to the same per viewport visibiliities interface that make sections lines on plan which is both irksome and inconsistent. 

• Like 1

I've requested this feature when they first came out with the new grid line tool.

I wonder if there is a way to modify the grid-bubble layout to create a custom style so that it can show detail#/Sheet number with the appearance of a section marker. 

Then I would only have to place them once in a plan view and have it show up automatically in the section and elevation viewports,  rather than doing it manually for every section and elevation viewport.  Only thing is the grid-line/section markers would probably not be smart and update when a viewport is moved to another sheet.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, DBrown said:

Yes, the section line instances only works in Plan Views, the tool is still half baked, you will have to put it manually

They actually also work (I think) in non-section viewports.

So if you produce your elevations as section viewports (which is what I do) then you can't use it.

However, if you produce your elevations as a standard "right", "left", "front" etc viewport then I think you can have your section markers show up automatically.

(Not saying this is a solution for most people - just an observation)

7 hours ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

@line-weightThanks. I used the section viewports to produce my elevations as there are multiple structures, site work and retaining walls around the site to get grade at the building. I will try the other "view ways" out on a simpler building. I guess a clip cube view could help?

Yes, that's why I also use sections to generate elevations. I don't think a clip cube will help you - if you generate a view from a clip cube it will give you a section viewport.

You might be able to get something to work with overlaid viewports (the main section viewport plus another "view ways" one with everything turned off but the section markers, line up with each other appropriately). But whenever I've tried that kind of approach as a workaround to various things, it usually becomes quite annoying to maintain it.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't follow the forum that closely these days so forgive me for jumping in months later...

I did not see it mentioned so I'll give you our solution for those who might not know of this feature.   You can manually draw a section mark in annotations.  This functions as a 2d mark that you manually locate, however, you can optionally auto-number it by linking it directly to an existing viewport that was created with the Section Line tool in plan.   Not as good as automatically having it come in on its own but better than an un-linked mark that doesn't update when detail and sheet numbers are modified during development.    For what its worth.

• Like 1