Cinema 4d Plugin for Vectorworks

Kevin

Do I understand correctly that in order to use the demo try-out of Cinema, I have to pay $50 for a plug in that I may never use again?

The whole reason that I am on this topic to begin with, is that my Renderworks software does not work, (it freezes during animation).

It would seem that I have "jumped out of the frying pan and right into the fire"!

[ 03-28-2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Kevin ]

Kevin,

You can discuss the return policy with a Sales Rep should you contact us for the plugin and it is not what you are interrested in.

You may contact a Sales Rep at 1-888-646-4223 or sales@nemetschek.net.

• 1 month later...

HI,

I am also interested in getting the C4d plug-in.

1. How easy is it to use?

2. How many hours dose it take to get an understanding of doing an animation?

3. What is the cost of the C4d & the plug-in?

4. Is it true that is takes 10 - 30 mins to process an animation in C4d, while VWA takes 5 hours?

Thanks

HI,

I am also interested in getting the C4d plug-in.

1. How easy is it to use?

If you are experienced with other 3d apps it is very easy to pick up. If you are not, it has a bit of a learning curve. For rendering and simple animation I think it is far easier to learn than 3ds max.

2. How many hours dose it take to get an understanding of doing an animation?

If you just want to do a flythrough and you have experience with other 3d apps, you should pick it up fairly quickly. If you are trying to do character animation or have no animation experience it will take some time to grasp the concepts.

3. What is the cost of the C4d & the plug-in?

The basic C4D package is $600 the VW Plug in is $50.

4. Is it true that is takes 10 - 30 mins to process an animation in C4d, while VWA takes 5 hours?

No, The C4D rendering engine is faster than renderworks', but it is not magic.

Thanks AndyM,

I can do a good rendered orbit animation with VWA renderworks. But my walk thru keeps crashing.

Dose the basic C4d Package work with VWA. I was told that I needed the $1,600 package to use it with VWA?

VWA10.1 - Winxp home - P4 2.0Ghz - 1GB ram

This is text from a post I made in a similar topic;

Gents

I just made the move to Cinema - I'm a lighting and scenic designer and really need volumetric lighting in my proposals.

I can't tell you how happy I am. The renderer looks so good! Sure, there's a bit of a learning curve getting wrapped around Cinema-speak, but it is very flexible and powerful.

I just used it on a proposal, and although my client only needed 2 hi res stills, I was able to create a very nice quicktime move with just a glance at the manual.

The process of revision was also quite painless via the plug in. After years of going the dxf route, this was a cakewalk.

The plugin disc also includes a folder full of architectural textures.

Also, I purchased from Maxon direct - they gave me a discount, and the total with the plugin was under $600 - contact Rafi Barbos [r_barbos@maxon.net] she was a big help.

a question or two for those of you that have used the C4D plugin-

First, what versions of C4D and VW are required?

Second, how does it work-does VW just seamlessly export to Cinema?

Third-only fifty bucks? really? Woo-hoo!

for those of you that haven't had contact with C4D, let me just say that the renderer is far beyond the Lightworks engine (as implemented in RW9, for example) in terms of producing gorgeous work. Don't know about 10-30 minutes vs. 5 hrs, but I do know that C4D is very quick. And C4D is incredibly stable, cross platform, and multiprocessor savvy. A fabulous product. End rant.

regards

-ajs

Originally posted by ajs:

[QB]a question or two for those of you that have used the C4D plugin-

First, what versions of C4D and VW are required?

Second, how does it work-does VW just seamlessly export to Cinema?

Third-only fifty bucks? really? Woo-hoo!

1 Not sure about C4D, but I belive it's 8, and either VW 9.x or 10.

2 There is an "export to C4D" menu item that needs to be added to the File Menu in VW. Then Open or merge in C4D, and the VW objects appear as a group in the object browser. Separate objects are defined by either the class or layer in VW.

3 yes 50 bucks is what I paid.

NNA is NOT pushing users to Cinema 4d.

Maxon wrote a plug-in to allow for compatibility between VW and maxon per user requests. As did ArtLantis.

It's merely an alternative option for people that want better quality than RenderWorks.

NNA has no hands in the pot with Cinema 4d.

We sell the plug-in and the minimal Cinema 4d product as a dealer only.

All support goes thru Maxon, not NNA.

thanks much, David.

I also talked to NNA Sales. They directed me to Maxon to get specifics. I pointed out that Maxon's web site aims the user at VW to get specifics.

Hilarity ensued, and I may pursue this further at a later time.

quote:

Originally posted by ajs:

thanks much, David.

I also talked to NNA Sales. They directed me to Maxon to get specifics. I pointed out that Maxon's web site aims the user at VW to get specifics.

Hilarity ensued, and I may pursue this further at a later time.

I went through that as well - I was very hesitant about buying with out seeing.... and with no one able to give me concrete answers, I nearly blew it off.

However, I am sooo glad I did buy into it.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by dhruv:

How do vectorworks symbols, translate to cinema 4d. As symbols? or do they loose that information? Has anyone performed any tests comparing rendering times between renderworks and cinema 4d.

dhruv

There are a couple of export options when sending the VW file to C4D, but in general the export plug in will look at Class rather than object, so it depends what classes are embedded in your objects

i.e. I have a file that has 30 stacking chair symbols. My 3D chair symbol has 2 classes - Legs and Backs. The resulting Cinema file will have 2 objects - Legs and Backs, for all the chairs.

Although this may sound limiting, I don't have any interest in moving things around in Cinema - I always do that in VW, and simply merge the changes into Cinema. It's actually convenient, as all the Legs and Backs will have the same texture anyway.

It just takes a little time to update your symbol library to include classes that make sense.

Rendering time wise - there is no comparison.