SpacesfromList.vwx 1.0.4

(2 reviews)

3 Screenshots

About This File

This Marionette Script creates multiple space objects from worksheet data.

A very nice and time saving Marionette script to automate a routine peace of work.

Please consider, that the the script takes the area column and calculate the square with that. If you have a language settings with comma instead of points for decimal seperator, the calculation will fail. Use points as decimal character or eliminate decimal places in your list

Edited by DomC

What's New in Version 1.0.4   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Please consider, that the the script takes the area column and calculate the square with that. If you have a language settings with comma instead of points for decimal seperator, the calculation will fail. Use points as decimal separator or eliminate decimal places in your list. 

Hi Dom,

In 2019, for me the custom name and number of the space is not being copied. Can you suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers.

@Diamond 

Same Issue like in many other Scripts which uses the SetRecordField Node. I fixes that (Replaced SetRecordField with the ne 2019 Node)

• Like 1

@DomC, @Hans-Olav

This looks like a really great tool. A couple of things though:

I have noticed the first space in the list is not created by the marionette script despite having the correct start line no. input. (See screen shot).

Also can this be converted easily into a marionette command and then brought into a workspace? (I am new to marionette...)

image.thumb.png.39de637606a518f45d16a4721b4c0c07.png

@Boh

Uploaded a fixed v2018 example similar as the 2019 Version. It does not use the input wrapper. Instead of that it uses a red symbol from a space object.

Hi Dom,

Thanks for the script! I've modified it for my needs (see attached file) but don't understand where you're pulling your record from. You've set the Record Name to be Space, and the record field names to be Name, 11_Number, and 11_Space Name Cust. Is the Space record internal to Vectorworks? How do I find its corresponding record field names?

Thanks!

Create spaces.vwx

Hello
Nice Antonio, great Page 🙂
Alternatively in the new Version 1.0.3. there is a Node "Get Field Names", which can show you the localized and universal names of record fields.

image.thumb.png.2e16ffd136cbd471e96bfdd1b3765b8c.png

Hi @DomC an enhancement request (-:

I have used to run "Import adjacencies Matrix" for this functionality inside VW. But its always so much trouble finding the right encoding for CSV to function. (icelandic characters) Now I have tried your marionette and the same is happening. see screenshot.

The new import excel functionality in VW2021 imports the same file flawlessly, and I wonder if its hard for you to modify the script to read from a Worksheet inside the file instead of importing csv? 

Kind regard

Hans-Olav

Uten navn.png

Hi
You could directly connect the xlsx reader instead of csv reader, this works perfectly.

483867189_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-18um22_45_38.thumb.png.f1db872cd754017ca4b6257c39fe91fb.png

I would first try this one because if you have an excel File this would be the direct way (If it works, because text encoding is a real pain). By the way your worksheet for me looks like an encoding issue too 🙂  Maybe not just islandic?

Also the First version v2018, uses a Vectorworks Worksheet for input. This still works and you could just connect the worksheet reader instead xlsx or csv reader. 

735736101_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-18um22_50_37.thumb.png.f21f91d6dd5eb0711b978ff3dcd28d80.png

Edited by DomC
  • Like 1

Hi DomC,

first of all thank you this is great work and so useful. From your point of view would it be possible to modify the script in order to create rectangles with Data Tags?

I'm trying to follow a more 2D oriented hands on workflow because with lots of changes and adjustments spaces get laggy and messy very easily. But I still don't want to miss out on your great script and the ability to analyze the data.

Would be nice to have a qualified opinion on this approach.

20 hours ago, MJU said:

Hi DomC,

first of all thank you this is great work and so useful. From your point of view would it be possible to modify the script in order to create rectangles with Data Tags?

I'm trying to follow a more 2D oriented hands on workflow because with lots of changes and adjustments spaces get laggy and messy very easily. But I still don't want to miss out on your great script and the ability to analyze the data.

Would be nice to have a qualified opinion on this approach.

Thank you. I wonder, why the most usefull things always have the lowest rating here 🙂

Using Rectangles instead of Space PIOs could make definitely sence.
To have rectangles instead of Spaces you could modify the script as following:

1. Create a Symbol with a Rectangle inside and link it to your record format. So you save that part of setting record to objects and tagging objects by script.

You can Tag the Rectangles at the end with the "multi-Tag-Methode"

2. Modify the brown Wrapper like this. It would result in a much more simple script

image.thumb.png.2e0044a9ff919da3bfa82b29f120afdf.png 

3. Then you have to edit the "Set Record Field" part of the script with your own record name instead of "Space".

Other Options also possible but I think this is the most easy workflow. 

• Like 1

Perfect, thank you I will definitely try that. 

Yes it is so useful and a handy timesaver I upvoted to tweak the rating a bit 😉 

I also tried the standard 1.03 for VW2021 and noticed that all the Spaces get the same size, while the attribution works fine. Same thing happens with the older script  versions, so it rather a VW21 than a scripting issue.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

• Like 1
On 7/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, MJU said:

I also tried the standard 1.03 for VW2021 and noticed that all the Spaces get the same size, while the attribution works fine

Ahm ... good found
I provided a new Version (1.0.4) which handles editing of the space boundary different and this seems to work (hope for many years :-)

• Like 2
On 7/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, DomC said:

Thank you. I wonder, why the most usefull things always have the lowest rating here 🙂

1. Create a Symbol with a Rectangle inside and link it to your record format. So you save that part of setting record to objects and tagging objects by script.

2. Modify the brown Wrapper like this. It would result in a much more simple script

3. Then you have to edit the "Set Record Field" part of the script with your own record name instead of "Space".

Hey I tried that, it worked out perfectly. There was actually no need to create the symbol. I rathered to create the rectangle "in the process" and scaled it to the given size. Your script to create records from text/excel files came in handy to automate the process entirely.

Thanks again for the nice help and insight. Once I cleaned up my file I will definitely share it. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:34 PM, DomC said:

Ahm ... good found
I provided a new Version (1.0.4) which handles editing of the space boundary different and this seems to work (hope for many years :-)

in 2022 it seems to be the same issue again 😞

On 7/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, DomC said:

do you think it is possible to add tags similiar to the aproach with your room stamp? to recreate a 2D version of your spaces script?  

Must be the configuration of the column C. In the Example File, here is the area. And this must be returned on the port out1, which goes forward to the area of the space. Maybe you can check my movie I attached. Try to follow my stepts (picking your textfile, setup the Area-Column to out1)? I downloaded Version 1.0.4. and tested with the text file. 

image.png.a87ccbe8e4a3eeb44678543d1d08a4fe.png

Edited by DomC

Hi,

i followed the steps but the setup "Umsetzungstabelle" never appears so i could check the configuration. 

The "informationen - Objekt" for the Data Mapper just goes blank. Any Ideas?

btw - OS is windows

Edited by tofromuto