Component Wall from Surface 1.0.0

(1 review)

1 Screenshot

About This File

Here is a script that converts a NURBS surface to a wall with components that can be exported to IFC. The wall is an Auto Hybrid object made up of 3D Solids that match the thicknesses and attributes of the components of a referenced wall style. CWS_1212_IFC.vwx

A couple caveats: Make sure that wall style names do not  have a single or double quotation symbol in the name - it will get misinterpreted by the String Node. Also, if your base surface is an Interpolated Surface, use the tool in the 3D Power Pack - Rebuild NURBS... - to convert it to a standard NURBS surface.

• Like 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Is there a similar node to use if we wanted to do something similar with the slab / roof PIO? I noticed the wall reference node is custom, is this true? (particularly the parts of the code where there is the core, leftmost, right most, etc...)

• Like 1

@sbarrett I am completely new to Marionette + was really struggling with this script. I could get it to work with the NURBS Surface that was in the file but was getting mixed results when using my own NURBS: frequent spinning beach balls + having to force quit. After much trial + error I realized that I have to click on ‘Untrim’ for my NURBS in the OIP, then it will work. I don’t even know what Untrim is. I am creating my NURBS by extracting surfaces of 3D Solids. If I run the script on the extracted surface as it is I get the spinning beach ball + have to force quit. But if I ‘untrim’ it first the script will work but ‘untrim’ causes the surface to expand slightly so it’s no longer the shape I want… Any ideas why the script doesn’t like the pre-untrim surfaces + are there any tweaks to make it work with them? Thanks. Otherwise it's a really cool tool + a great introduction to Marionette so thank you!

This is on VW2021

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Tom W. I am not exactly sure if there is a workaround for this. NURBS that are extracted from surfaces often have little idiosyncrasies compared to NURBS that are drawn from scratch. The tool I like to use to fix NURBS is the Rebuild NURBS command in the 3D Power Pack command set.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Samuel Derenboim There isn't a version of this script that already exists for Slab and Roof PIOs, but it would definitely be feasible to create. It is important to note that it doesn't actually create a wall, it creates 3D solids that mimic an existing Wall Style's components, so this could be reworked to read a slab style or a roof style. However, you could just as easily build a Wall Style with the correct component thicknesses and use it on a horizontal surface and you will get the same result.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, sbarrett said:

@Tom W. I am not exactly sure if there is a workaround for this. NURBS that are extracted from surfaces often have little idiosyncrasies compared to NURBS that are drawn from scratch. The tool I like to use to fix NURBS is the Rebuild NURBS command in the 3D Power Pack command set.

thank you I did try 'Rebuild NURBS' but it didn't work:

1156800470_Screenshot2021-09-28at13_09_24.thumb.png.3bf9af930333366b904e74506ebea70f.png

But no worries, I've realised there are other limitations in using Extract Surface to generate the Surfaces in the particular project I'm using this in so drawing them from scratch is probably better all round

2 hours ago, sbarrett said:

@Samuel Derenboim There isn't a version of this script that already exists for Slab and Roof PIOs, but it would definitely be feasible to create. It is important to note that it doesn't actually create a wall, it creates 3D solids that mimic an existing Wall Style's components, so this could be reworked to read a slab style or a roof style. However, you could just as easily build a Wall Style with the correct component thicknesses and use it on a horizontal surface and you will get the same result.

Thank you for your response !

I agree, a wall type will work very well for almost any situation. The only reason I asked about slabs and roofs was for organizational purposes when creating worksheets to list available wall, roof and slab types in separate worksheets.

Is there a node that I would be able to replace the wall type node with a slab type/roof type node instead?

This tool is definitely going into my menu marionette commands!!! thank you again

On 9/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, Tom W. said:

thank you I did try 'Rebuild NURBS' but it didn't work:

1156800470_Screenshot2021-09-28at13_09_24.thumb.png.3bf9af930333366b904e74506ebea70f.png

But no worries, I've realised there are other limitations in using Extract Surface to generate the Surfaces in the particular project I'm using this in so drawing them from scratch is probably better all round

Try extract the edges then loft the edges to create a new nurbs surface.