JLG Condor 60 2.0.0

(2 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

This is another Marionette object based on a symbol belonging to @barnes2000. (Thanks Scott!) He has built a bunch of cool crane and lift symbols. This one is an Articulating Boom Lift that has seven different rotation or extension articulations. Each has a Slider in the OIP that allows you to set its angle or extension. (See video.) This Marionette object works by placing the different parts of the Lift as symbols in the drawing at a particular insertion point and rotation based on the values of the Sliders. Each symbol has named loci that are used to locate the object in the drawing space and in relation to the other parts. The loci are on an invisible class (so don't delete the class from the drawing). The object updates pretty quickly for having so many variables. If you wish to share the object to another file, make sure that you import the entire symbol folder.

Unlike the Scissor Lift, this object is not built from hybrid symbols because hybrid symbols cannot be rotated around the x- or y-axis. If you wish to convert it to a hybrid object, you could place it inside an Auto Hybrid, but this will make it a much bigger object (memory-wise), and you would only be able to edit the object from inside the Auto Hybrid.

What's New in Version 2.0.0   See changelog

Released

Here is a new file with the Condor 60 that has two versions - one in imperial units and one in metric. It doesn't matter what document units you are using, the sliders will either be in feet or centimeters depending on the version you use. (The rotation sliders are still in degrees for both versions.) 

• Like 6

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello@digitalcarbon,

A Marionette object functions just like any other parametric object - you can convert it to a symbol but you would lose the ability to edit it in the OIP. Just like a plug-in object though, it still has an insertion point. If you want to add geometry to make that visible you can by editing the Condor_base symbol (just don't delete anything from it or change its insertion point or the insertion point of any of the other part symbols).

You can reference it just like any other symbol, just know that all of the parts will come with it, including the part symbols, the textures, and the Marionette gradients, but they will no longer be in folders, so it might be a little messy. The only thing you would need to do is to move the Condor60 PIO red symbol outside of its folder (that is the Marionette object). Then you can reference it.

RMafterReference.thumb.png.9dc6dd8875d2fc65cf31a945361afce2.png

what are the chances of having assemblies like this?  note how no programing is needed. (i do appreciate what was done)

which means if VW had this right now i could do all my models today...however since it can only be done by way of Marionette...there is no way i can do this unless i take a week to learn programing...

Edited by digitalcarbon
1 hour ago, digitalcarbon said:

what are the chances of having assemblies like this?  note how no programing is needed. (i do appreciate what was done)

which means if VW had this right now i could do all my models today...however since it can only be done by way of Marionette...there is no way i can do this unless i take a week to learn programing...

I bet it would be possible to build a Marionette toolkit of joint/relationship nodes or wrapped networks that could simplify the process of articulating things. I think these show incredible potential. I would love to see an introductory webinar on how to approach articulation that included building some simple examples. There's clearly a proper way to break down the movement and decide how to structure the network.

Kevin

• Like 1
On 3/6/2018 at 2:46 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

I bet it would be possible to build a Marionette toolkit of joint/relationship nodes or wrapped networks that could simplify the process of articulating things. I think these show incredible potential. I would love to see an introductory webinar on how to approach articulation that included building some simple examples. There's clearly a proper way to break down the movement and decide how to structure the network.

Kevin

@Kevin McAllisterI have created a much simpler Marionette object that is built with articulating symbols that you can check out. It is built using the same principle as the Condor - each symbol is placed and rotated relative to the location of the other parts and the values in the OIP. It is located here:

4 hours ago, sbarrett said:

@Kevin McAllisterI have created a much simpler Marionette object that is built with articulating symbols that you can check out.

@sbarrettthank you for sharing the other example. There wouldn't happen to be an example that shows the articulation of a simple joint mechanism? The clock is almost two simple since all of the insertion points are the same. The Condor lift and the Nanawall examples are great but its hard to isolate them down to one joint mechanism. I'm thinking of something like a single bifold door where the insertion point of the second symbol tracks in relation to a lever arm point (not the insertion point on the first symbol).

Thanks again,

Kevin

• Like 1

Hi Sally

I tried importing it into my drawing, but as soon as try to adjust or move it, it still disappears. Any ideas what that is? I can send vwx file if that helps.

Andy

Edited by AndyLowe

Does it only disappear after importing it into your drawing? Can you manipulate it in the original file? Can you tell if all of the "parts" import into your file as well? What happens if you click the Update button in the OIP

Hi Sally

Exactly, it disappears after importing, as soon as I try and adjust it in anyway (both the Condor and Scissor Lift do the same thing, except I had a moment where I imported the Condor into a new spotlight template file and it worked there). The parts do all seem to be there.

I've uploaded my file to see if you have the same trouble.

Andy

Condor : Scissor Lift Test.vwx

I see what you mean. I am seeing the same issue when I try to import it into a new file as well. I am filing a bug.

-Sarah

Thanks Sally. And glad it wasn't just me too, Tom! Always assume I'm getting something wrong in those situations. They're such useful models. Really love that Scott Barnes took the time to make them!