Scissor Lift 3.0.0

(1 review)

1 Screenshot

About This File

This Marionette object is a Scissor Lift PIO. You can place the Scissor Lift in your drawing and set the height via a Slider in the OIP. (See video.) All the different parts of the Lift are different symbols, and the Marionette script places each symbol at a particular insertion point and rotation based on the value of the Slider. If you wish to share the object, make sure that you share the entire symbol folder that holds all of its accompanying parts.

This object was based on a symbol created by @barnes2000. Thanks Scott for letting me play!

What's New in Version 3.0.0   See changelog

Released

There seems to be a corruption in the last file that was uploaded - here is a file with the same PIOs but hopefully no corruption

• Like 10
  • Love 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is super awesome. What a great example of Marionette!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

(Now all we need is a way to show something like this at different heights (states) without having multiple versions of it in a file :) (the classing method))

Wow - Super impressed !!

Could do something similar for NivoFlex adjustable stages ?!?

Edited by Ethan R.

Reason I'm so happy to see this file is I have occasion to use scissor lifts as Followspot platforms for Events. Works a charm, but not fun to illustrate this elegantly.

2 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

(Now all we need is a way to show something like this at different heights (states) without having multiple versions of it in a file :) (the classing method))

exactly right Kevin, and of course not just this item.

This is amazing but it does not accept units other than Imperial. So users can not put in '7m' but have to work out what it is in feet and inches (22' 11.59" ie 23'). It is only the USA, Liberia and Myanmar that use the outdated Imperial system.

Please can these wonderful free marionette shares take into account units that the "The Rest of the World" are using please?!

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by Peter Neufeld
  • Like 1

Thank you Sarah for making this metric capable. I'm sure your swift work will be appreciated by many more users around the world!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

I've just re-downloaded the file to send to someone and I noticed that if I draw anything, say in Top Plan or otherwise, such as a line, rectangle or sphere all the fields in the OIP are set to '0'.

Never seen that before! Actually if pasted into a new file the OIP reports correctly.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Neufeld

I'm getting the pop up dialogue where it says it might be created by a newer version of the application - is this created in VWX 2018, and if so could someone convert this to a VWX 2017 version?

This is very impressive!   It leads me to question where I think I already know the answer, but is it possible to automate the movement?  Setting a start and end height with a specific timing ( possible acceleration and deceleration) using existing symbols.

The implications could be the visualization of flying trusses/scenery for reference in an increasingly automated theatrical industry. 

Thanks!

Nick

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick Armory said:

is it possible to automate the movement?  

I don't think so.  A while back, @James Russell had a really fun script where he animated a car on a turntable and a curtain flying away to reveal it.  That was 5 years ago and all the attached files are lost to the sofa cushions of the internet.  But in the last 5 years, who knows what he's been able to animate.

Unfortunately, parametric objects don't redraw during the execution of a script.  So scripting probably doesn't work.  We were able to play around with animating a parametric object with apple script.  But it's not an elegant solution.

• Like 1

Firstly @sbarrett cool as work - that's so much fun. I'll be having an in-depth look later tonight for sure, great work!

8 hours ago, michaelk said:

I don't think so.  A while back, @James Russell had a really fun script where he animated a car on a turntable and a curtain flying away to reveal it.  That was 5 years ago and all the attached files are lost to the sofa cushions of the internet.  But in the last 5 years, who knows what he's been able to animate.

@michaelk / @Nick Armory - 5 years is a long time. Unfortunately that's somewhat as far as we ever got there (I'll dig the old files out later). The crux of it being some hidden magic behind the older (2019) create animation and the way it would real-time cycle through object updates - however not so applicable for parametric objects.

It's something one day I'd love to explore further - if only we had an extended period of isolation to do such things...

However not wanting to leave you hanging for options please see the attached file. It's old but good - still runs in 2020 (double click the script in the scripts panel then W,A,S,D to control).

Stay safe all,

J

JRussell - PacMan 2015.vwx

James, 

This is awesome!  Apple script?  

Apologies for responding to an old thread, but isolation had me doing work housekeeping by updating our symbol library with our heavy equipment.  Once I had seen this I could not keep my mind from wandering.  

I should be taking some Python (or Apple Script) online courses to ease my pain 🙂 

Nick 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Nick Armory said:

This is awesome!  Apple script?  

It's both awesome and ridiculous at the same time.  Classic Mr. Russell.  James, I hope you can find the spinning car file.  I've misplaced it, but I remember it being really cool.

James is using Vector Script, in this case a version Pascal.  It could also be done in Python.  To animate a parametric object, you would have to use a Vector Script (Pascal or Python) inside an Apple Script.

And it would run as poorly as it sounds like it would. 🙂

• Like 1

I was wondering if there was a way to make it a certain size? Such as a 7 1/2' by 4' lift? As you can see in the attached file, the smaller lift is the one from vectorworks and is the correct size by the height can not be adjusted where yours can but it is much bigger. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 12.22.56 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Each part of the scissor lift is a modeled symbol, so those symbols would have to be replaced by ones that are a different size. The way that the script works is that each symbol is named and and each symbol contains a named locus point where the next symbol in the sequence is attached.

I've been trying to use the scissor lift symbol and the condor one in VW2021. Everytime I import it into my model, as soon as I try to move it (or rotate it or adjust it) in anyway, it disappears from my project. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or is it a 2021 glitch?

Thanks for any advance replies. And thanks for buidling these marionettes. They're really fantastic and useful.

Andy

@barnes2000 and @sbarrett   I've begun an endeavour to compile a library of Condors/boom lifts, Gradalls/telehandlers and Magnis used in the movie/TV industry, for potential future jobs. I started out looking at marionetting to make the models articulating, as sbarrett has done with this and the JLG60. Awesome work, and thank you for that! I'm only a novice at VW and so it will probably be quite a learning curve before I can even crudely replicate what you have done. You mentioned elsewhere that barnes2000 has created many more models, but I see only these two in the download section. Are those others available for download somewhere?

• Like 2

I'm looking at the scissor lift 3.0.0 and am very impressed with it!  I'm trying to get it in my favorites on resource manager. I have tried different ways but it keeps coming up with an error or not working how it should be in its project, what am I doing wrong? thanks