• Update Vectorworks fails (Mac only)

jblock

When running the Vectorworks Updater, the Update may fail. This may be caused by incorrect permission settings, especially on Mac OS X/macOS. To fix this, try changing the permissions on the Vectorworks folder, in the Applications folder. 

Right-click on the Vectorworks folder and choose "Get Info". At the bottom of the window, you will see "Sharing & Permissions".

permissions_macOS_01.png

You should see your current user name listed here, followed by (Me). If you do not see this, click on the + button on the bottom left of the window and add your user name to the list. Once it is added, change the permission to "Read & Write".

permissions_macOS_02.png

Next, you will want to make sure those permissions are correctly applied to the items inside of this folder. To do this, click on the Gear icon at the bottom and choose "Apply to enclosed items".

permissions_macOS_03.png

Once the permissions are applied, run the Vectorworks Updater again and it should complete successfully. 

• Like 3

Report Article

User Feedback

Hello,

I'd like to thank you for this procedure, it worked most of the times.

Whereby I must add that simply resetting the Permissions didn't help, we needed also to create a new name in the list of the users. Only then, after propagating the rights to the enclosed items, could we finally update successfully.

We still have 2 users where the update couldn't succeed.

The updater won't update itself and silently quit without any error. A fully new installation didn't help. For these there must be some further trouble.

Best,

_c_

• Like 1
    • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@_c_ Can you send me a private message with the UpdaterLog.txt files for the 2 problem users? I can take a look and try to figure out what is going on there.

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, jblock said:

@_c_ Can you send me a private message with the UpdaterLog.txt files for the 2 problem users? I can take a look and try to figure out what is going on there.

Sent!

Hi,

I have had a problem with updating Vectorworks 2019 up to Service Pack 6, where whenever the update completes I receive an error message stating: "An attempt to activate over the internet has failed because of communications problems".

I primarily use the program on my work computer which is a Mac with no problem, however this problem occurs when I'm working on my home Windows computer. I have tried turning off the firewalls whenever I click the try again button, and changed the permissions for the program files as you suggested. I'm at a loss of what to do now, short of uninstalling and just sticking with an earlier service pack.

Thanks