• Error Loading Vision Library

jblock

When launching Vectorworks, you may run into this error:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.50.07 AM.png

Vectorworks should still launch and operate, but you should be able to fix this by using the following method:

On Windows:

Copy the files in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vectorworks 20XX

Into the Vision folder VW installation folder: C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 20XX\Vision

Unknown-4.png

Mac:

Copy the files out of ‎⁨Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 20XX⁩

and paste them into the Vision folder in the following location:

‎⁨Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 20XX⁩ ▸ ⁨Vision⁩

Unknown-3.png

This will make Vectorworks ignore the path set by the installer. Vectorworks should now launch without any error.

Edited by jblock

• Like 3

Report Article

User Feedback

Hi,

I have the same problem. Unfortunately the above method does not solve the problem. I still get the same error message!

Any fix?

Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 11.40.50.png

Hi there

I was so happy when I finally saw a Solution for Windows, but unfortunatly it doesnt help/work.

Are there any other fixes?

Where do I see which path the Installer set? Your quote: "This will make Vectorworks ignore the path set by the installer"

Nobody?

When I install Vectorworks on my Master-PC, this error doesnt appear, when I copy the Package to another Computer, this error appears. So somehow I missed some components in my package, but all the Vision-Files are there.

Is there something in the Registry?

• Administrator
    6 minutes ago, dwalter said:

Why cant nobody help here?

Unfortunately if the steps described above did not fix the issue, we might need to troubleshoot further. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You guys can also try it by yourself

1. I install VectorWorks on one Computer

2. To deploy it to many Computers, I just copy the whole Vectorworks 2020 Folder in C:\Program Files and copy it to the Destination Computer

3. Then I import some Registry Settings

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nemetschek\Vectorworks 25]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nemetschek\Vectorworks 25\Registration]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nemetschek\Vectorworks 25\Registration]

4. Place the Vectorworks Shortcut on the Desktop and done

5. Sometimes I also have to install some missing Distributables

Since about Vectorworks 2018 this Vision-Error Message appears.

Or is there an official deployment method?

Edited by dwalter

I have a new PC and had to install Vectorworks 2020 on my new machine. After installation I had this issue with the Vision Library error popping up and I solved it by uninstalling Vectorworks. I went into my Program Files and deleted manually any folders that remained labeled 'Vision2020'. Then I reinstalled Vectorworks and everything worked fine. I opened and closed the program two times to double check.  However, after the installation, VW prompted me to install the newest 'Service Pack' update. I therefore, clicked on the link to install the newest service pack. This installation caused an issue with the Vectorworks 2020 program which I had just installed, making the program un-openable. I then had to uninstall VW a second time, and reinstall it in a separate folder with a different name. I then registered the product over the internet but I then did not check for the new service pack this time. VW 2020 then worked fine again. I believe that the new service pack is causing the issue. 

The above worked perfectly fine for VectorWorks 2021. For me, this error started appearing after I updated to 2021 SP3. It also appeared multiple times every time I exported to MVR (kept having to click to close it, but it didn't seem to have a negative impact on the resulting MVR files). After ensuring VectorWorks isn't running and copying the three folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vectorworks 2021 to C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2021\Vision, the error did not appear again upon running VectorWorks.

This relates to the Vision Library error: 

Recently I did some testing, trying to understand better the relationship between Vectorworks and its creation and use of registry files on Windows and got the following results:

1. Uninstalled Vectorworks 2020
      • Observation: The registry files under HKEY_CURRENT_USER for Vectorworks 2020 got removed due to uninstallation.
      • Observation: The registry files in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE remained in-place.
    2. Deleted all Vectorworks registry files under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE only: 
      • Observation: Opened Vectorworks 2021, got ‘Vision Libraries’ error.
      • Observation: Opening Vectorworks 2021 did not regenerate the deleted registry files in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    3. I tried several system-related processes in Vectorworks that may have invoked the recreation of these registry files, but none of them worked.
    4. Reinstalled Vectorworks 2021.
      • Observation: The missing registry files in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are now in-place.
      • Observation: The Vision Libraries error no longer appears. 

As I was in the mood to explore, when I reinstalled Vectorworks 2021 I did it over the top of the existing installation. - This practice is not endorsed or supported by Vectorworks Inc and I would never prescribe this method to any user unless it was, but I'm relaying this here just in case a clean installation of Vectorworks does not produce the same result, but I strongly believe it would. 

All this to say that…

1. It looks to me that the Vision Library error is caused by an absence of, or a disconnect between, the registry file/s and associated files/folders/programs that use them, and that 
    2. Reinstalling Vectorworks should make this issue disappear, but if not, first deleting the Vectorworks registry files within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then reinstalling should do it. 

@jblock This worked for me, thank you.

When I installed VW 2022 it completely messed up my 2021 - reset everything to default, removed all my workspaces and favorite files, and I started getting this error.

At least this was a simple fix!

• Like 1