The best way to migrate a template file from a previous version of Vectorworks to a later version is as follows:
1) In the previous version, open a new document using that template.
2) Save the file to your desktop.
3) Open that newly saved file in your latest version of Vectorworks, so that it is converted to the newer format.
4) With the file still open in the latest version of Vectorworks, go to File > Save As Template
5) Save the template with your desired name in the default location.
NOTE: For your convenience, the default locations of Vectorworks template files is listed below:
On Mac OSX 10.7 and 10.8, the Library folder for your User account is hidden. The easiest way to display it is to open Finder, then hold down the alt/option key on your keyboard while clicking "Go" from the menu bar, then select "Library"
6) Restart Vectorworks, you will now have your template available as a selection for creating new documents in the latest version.
Edited by JimW