• Improve OpenGL and Wireframe performance - Windows only - Nvidia graphics only

PVA - Admin

Wireframe and OpenGL views in Vectorworks 2014 and later are directly dependant on your graphics hardware. (also called a graphics card, GPU or video card.)

The card used for this setup was an Nvidia GeForce GT 660M, but the same settings should apply to the majority of Nvidia graphics cards.

To speed up these modes, there are a few settings that can be customized specifically for the Vectorworks application.

Note: These settings will not affect Hidden Line or other Renderworks modes.

1) With Vectorworks closed, right-click on an empty blank area of your desktop, from the drop-down menu that appears, select "Nvidia Control Panel"

nvidiarightclick1.png

2) On the left, select "Manage 3D Settings"

3) To the right of this window, select "Program Settings" and then select your current version of Vectorworks from the list. This is done so that the settings changed here will only affect Vectorworks and not any other applications or games installed on your machine.

nvidia cp 2.png

If you do not see it listed, you can click "Add" and locate Vectorworks manually. It is normally found in either the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86) folder.

4) Once Vectorworks has been selected, match your settings as closely as possible to the following:

Preferred Graphics Processor                                                  High-performance NVIDIA processor

Ambient Occlusion                                                                      Off

Anisotropic Filtering                                                                    Off

Antialiasing - FXAA                                                                      Off

Antialiasing - Mode                                                                      Application Controlled

Antialiasing - Setting                                                                    Application Controlled

Antialiasing - Transparency                                                        8x

CUDA - GPUs                                                                                 All

Maximum Pre-rendered Frames                                                Use 3D Application Setting

Multi-display/mixed-GPU Acceleration                                    Single Display Performance

Power Management Mode                                                         Prefer Maximum Performance

Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization             Off

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias                                       Clamp

Texture Filtering - Quality                                                            Performance

Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization                                  On

Threaded Optimization                                                               On

Triple Buffering                                                                             Off

Vertical Sync                                                                                  On

5) Once you have set these settings, click "Apply" at the bottom right of this dialogue, then reboot your computer.

If you have trouble with Vectorworks after using these settings, you can always revert back to the defaults by clicking "Remove" to the right of the Vectorworks application under the "Program Settings" window at any time.

Edited by JimW

Report Article

User Feedback

Unforunatley there is no difference for me with or without Program Settings. Most rendering goes with CPU. (Vectorworks 2019 with Nvidia RTX2070). Taskmanager says only 3% GPU activitity with renderworks final and so on. and CPU full 100% ....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
    5 minutes ago, Simon78 said:

Unforunatley there is no difference for me with or without Program Settings. Most rendering goes with CPU. (Vectorworks 2019 with Nvidia RTX2070). Taskmanager says only 3% GPU activitity with renderworks final and so on. and CPU full 100% ....

This article is referring to improving the performance of OpenGL and Wireframe rendering. Renderworks rendering uses your processor while OpenGL and Wireframe use the graphics card. The article linked below explains in more detail what hardware is used for specific render modes.

Hi Tech Staff.

Can you provide an update for the recommended Nvidia Control Panel settings for Vectorworks?

The above list is over three years old and some setting options are now different than described. 

There should be an updated list by VW version, or perhaps when Nvidia releases a Control Panel update. 

Thanks! 

• Like 2
    On 12/18/2019 at 2:25 PM, Clint Alderman said:

Hi Tech Staff.

Can you provide an update for the recommended Nvidia Control Panel settings for Vectorworks?

The above list is over three years old and some setting options are now different than described. 

There should be an updated list by VW version, or perhaps when Nvidia releases a Control Panel update. 

Thanks! 

I second this suggestion. It would be very helpful if Vectorworks could provide a bit more specific information about leveraging the GPU with Nvidia settings. I'm sure the same would go for AMD graphics cards as well.

peace

aj

• Like 1
    On 11/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, Matt2323 said:

An update for VW2022 would be awesome!! I have an RTX 3080 and it’s struggling. 

Very interesting.

I am planning to do an laptop upgrade and have that GPU in my sights.

Wow. Still struggling... what's going on?

I really don't understand why VW does not design their software to the hardware market.

We get general info for three levels of recommendations. But it's not that helpful.

Why not put together three real life systems that represents the top of each level, and then run test using VW?

Show us in very practical ways what different system configurations make in the performance of VW applications? Why keep this a mystery? Spend a few dollars, pocket change to the corporation, and demonstrate the experience.

In doing so, you'll create good will, and maybe restore trust in you customer base.

It really is no mystery, look over here at how few and sporadic ISV certifications they have with AMD, I could not even find anything on NVidia ?https://www.amd.com/en/support/certified-drivers?keyword=&f[0]=application%3AVectorworks

While Pro GPU’s are supposed to guarantee software compatibility AND performance, I have never seen VW specifically pushing PRO GPU’s probably because they so not have the resources to test.

I as a user I am currently forced to take a gamble, needing a PC upgrade I went with an AMD Radeon Pro W6600 as it has an ISV but I am going to miss out on any Redshift integration in VW unless they get it to work.