• Silent Installation of Vectorworks 2023

Tim Ardoin

NOTE: This article is intended for IT professionals with an understanding of the command line/terminal interface. 

This article is not intended for all users and is not a required procedure for installing Vectorworks in a standard work environment. Do not use these steps unless you are specifically attempting to initiate a silent install of Vectorworks in a network environment or are specifically instructed to do so by Vectorworks Technical Support.

The Vectorworks installer provides a command line interface for driving a silent installation from the command line.

When doing a silent installation, there are five required arguments:

--mode unattended

This tells the installer to not wait for input.
      --unattendedmodeui none

This tells the installer to not show any graphical interface.
      --Serial <serial number>

This provides the serial number to the installer. Example --Serial EJXUSN-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

--installdir <path to install>

This provides the path to install to the installer. Example: --installdir "C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023"

--LDFChoice <licenseID | ldf_local_file>

This tells the installer how to retrieve the License Description File.

--LDFChoice licenseID: This tells the installer to automatically download it during installation.

--LDFChoice ldf_local_file: This tells the installer you will provide the LDF file.

If you use ldf_local_file, you must also specify an additional argument:

--ldf <path>

This specifies the path and filename to a pre-downloaded LDF file.

In addition, on MacOS, the following argument is usually desired:

--sysUsername <username>

This tells the installer the username of the user who will be the "owner" of the files Vectorworks installs.

Without this argument, the superuser "root" will be the owner of these files. Typically, you want a named user to own these files.

These arguments are case sensitive and are preceded by a double dash (--).

Windows:

1) Using 7-zip, extract the large file called "dist" that's found next to the installer .exe.

2) The executable file you need to start the silent installer will be in this location:

dist~\resources\installer\

named: "Install Vectorworks2023.exe".

Open a command prompt window as an administrator, navigate to this folder, and use the following command:

START /W "" "Install Vectorworks2023.exe" --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial EJXUSN-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --installdir <install directory goes here, usually "C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023"> --LDFChoice licenseID

When the installation is finished, control will return to the command line. You can verify if it is complete by examining the file InstallerLog.txt to see if it says "Installation completed" at the end of the log. This file can be found in the installation directory.

MacOS:

You will need to first launch the installer .dmg file, which will open a volume called “Vectorworks 2023 Installer” in your finder. 

From the Mac Terminal, type in the following command:

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2023.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial EJMUSN-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --installdir <install directory goes here, usually "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023"> --sysUsername <the system user for which Vectorworks is being installed> --LDFChoice licenseID

When the installation is finished, control will return to the command line. You can verify if it is complete by examining the file InstallerLog.txt to see if it says "Installation completed" at the end of the log. This file can be found in the installation directory.

Note:  When providing specific argument values, do not include the “<” or “>” characters.

Report Article

User Feedback

When trying this with a G-Series serial, setup fails to find license information and suggests checking the LDF file.
    What is this file, where do I find / download it, and how are we supposed to know this? 

Figured it out. Didn't see the new serial.
    The question of how we are supposed to know this, still stands - we did not get any notification, and the install documentation doesn't touch this either. 

Another addition: the command line in your article is missing this parameter: --sysUsername userName
    It's supposed to assign the serial to the logged in user, so they shall don't get the error that the serial is missing and to please provide one.
    But it doesn't work.
    This is turning into a perfect advertisement for the competition.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry for the delayed response. It looks like you got it figured out, but I had a few questions and comments to improve this article:

1) What platform are you installing on? Generally sysUsername is a Mac parameter, because of the requirement that the installer launch as an admin and thus, without it, items will be installed owned by root, and various items installed to root's user folder. But if you're on Mac, sysUsername was up there already, unless I'm missing something.

2) There was a bug that we just discovered causing installers to not install the serial number to the global location on Series G. Vectorworks looks in this location on launch for a serial if it doesn't find license info in the user location. Multi-user series G installations should have the serial in plists in /Library/Preferences/ on Mac and in HKLM on Win but as I mentioned this wasn't working correctly and possibly factored into your poor experience. We're testing a fix (for US) now.

3) I will add some information about the LDF. Usually, this should just download as a consequence of installing and running VW and it's supposed to generally be transparent to end users. You can download these as a file via a link next to the link used to download the VW installers in the user portal.

4) What's your current status? Do you need additional help installing? Did you contact Tech Support? I just want to make sure someone appropriate is helping you out (besides what I can do here).

1) Windows. Per the official PDF doc "SysUsername" is also a parameter for Windows installations.
    https://cw-downloads.eu/vectorworks/support/anleitungen/VW_Silent_Installation.pdf

2) That's good news, but I think we'll stick to our reg fix, since it also removes the pesky need to sign in with a licensed VWX account. 🙂

3) Thanks, I figured that one out by clicking through the customer portal. Would generally appreciate a "admin heads-up" in the future, maybe via link to an article in the announcement newsletter.

4) Our workaround seems to work great, so far only one user had to import the .reg manually (they repeatedly got the "please enter a serial" dialogue).

On 10/24/2022 at 4:05 PM, Tim Ardoin said:

Sorry for the delayed response. It looks like you got it figured out, but I had a few questions and comments to improve this article:

1) What platform are you installing on? Generally sysUsername is a Mac parameter, because of the requirement that the installer launch as an admin and thus, without it, items will be installed owned by root, and various items installed to root's user folder. But if you're on Mac, sysUsername was up there already, unless I'm missing something.

2) There was a bug that we just discovered causing installers to not install the serial number to the global location on Series G. Vectorworks looks in this location on launch for a serial if it doesn't find license info in the user location. Multi-user series G installations should have the serial in plists in /Library/Preferences/ on Mac and in HKLM on Win but as I mentioned this wasn't working correctly and possibly factored into your poor experience. We're testing a fix (for US) now.

3) I will add some information about the LDF. Usually, this should just download as a consequence of installing and running VW and it's supposed to generally be transparent to end users. You can download these as a file via a link next to the link used to download the VW installers in the user portal.

4) What's your current status? Do you need additional help installing? Did you contact Tech Support? I just want to make sure someone appropriate is helping you out (besides what I can do here).

@Tim Ardoin I am experiencing the issue described 2)  I have emailed tech support several times over the past 2 weeks trying to find a solution.  So far no response from tech support to my last 3 emails over a week ago.   Series G trying to do install on several mac laptops for student use.  If it is not the serial staying then I am getting it can't find my license server yet it is pingable and the port is available from the device.  Have it working (somehow) on 1 device so server is responding and working.   Have tried 2023 and 2023 sp1.

On 10/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, RMPSL said:

2) That's good news, but I think we'll stick to our reg fix, since it also removes the pesky need to sign in with a licensed VWX account. 🙂

Do you mind sharing this reg fix? I've tried to find a solution for a while. Is it machine-wide? Or specific to the user?

I also have the problem that when I start Vectorworks, I am asked for the serial number, even though it was provided during installation.

The same applies to the LDF file.

I'm using Vectorworks 2023 SP1. How can I solve this problem?

I had the same problem when installing Vectorworks 2023 through SCCM. To solve it, start regedit with the user account that did the installation. Navigate to this path (which should contain the serial number) and export it to a .reg file: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nemetschek\Vectorworks 28\Registration"

Edit the .reg file and replace HKEY_CURRENT_USER with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I also changed the 'First Time Run' value from 0 to 1. Import the key and it should work for other users.

Hi, i am trying to install VW 2023 evaluation and when i reach the license agreement screen i can't find where to approve accepting th license agreement

On 10/25/2022 at 6:05 AM, Tim Ardoin said:

Hi Tim,

Any updates here? Has the fix in the US worked? Do we have an ETA on when it might be available globally?

Vectorworks 2023 asks for the LDF file at the first start even though I provided the LDF file during the silent installation.

How can I fix this problem?

Hi @Tim Ardoin,

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. However, at one point I still need the right food for thought. I install VW in a computer pool (macOS) and we have a local licence server.

Which LDFChoice do I have to use? I'm leaning towards ldf_local_file and then the IP:port as --ldf. Is that the right approach?

Many thanks in advance
    Robert

Does an install without a logged-in user still work?  i.e. Using the Windows Trusted installer.

Windows environment, using SCCM to push out to workstations that are not logged in.  Am using the "ldf_local_file" and "ldf_path" parameters to point to the LDF file, specifically so that nothing needs to be downloaded.

What I'm seeing is that the target directory gets created and a zero length Vectorworks.vwr file, then nothing else happens.  It looks like it might be hanging while trying to download something from the net - which it's not going to be able to do without an interactive user.

Anyone else have this working?

hi,
    we have a G-Serie. when we try to install it in unattended mode we get the following error:

You have entered an invalid serial number.

How can we fix this?

vw-err.PNG

Edited by Teun
    On 1/16/2023 at 10:32 PM, Paul Helleur said:

Does an install without a logged-in user still work?  i.e. Using the Windows Trusted installer.

Windows environment, using SCCM to push out to workstations that are not logged in.  Am using the "ldf_local_file" and "ldf_path" parameters to point to the LDF file, specifically so that nothing needs to be downloaded.

What I'm seeing is that the target directory gets created and a zero length Vectorworks.vwr file, then nothing else happens.  It looks like it might be hanging while trying to download something from the net - which it's not going to be able to do without an interactive user.

Anyone else have this working?

I am having the same issue.  Did you find a solution?  If I run the silent install string as local administrator, the install completes.  If it as run as NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM, which MECM/SCCM uses during deployment, the installation stalls.  The install directory 'C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023' and one file named 'Vectorworks2023.exe' with 0 bytes is created.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, Teun said:

hi,
    we have a G-Serie. when we try to install it in unattended mode we get the following error:

You have entered an invalid serial number.

How can we fix this?

vw-err.PNG

Hi @Teun,

We had exactly the same problem. We could resolve this issue by using ""unattendedmodeui minimal" in the command line in stead of ""unattendedmodeui minimalWithDialogs".

Kind regards,
    Jeroen

Where can I find the LDF file or how can I create it? Is this the Licensing.csv File I can download from service-select?

Which format should it have?

And will a single LDF file work when deploying vw23 to all of my users?

many thanks

on mac this command works for me but it takes time.. (macOS 12.6.3)

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks/Vectorworks\ 2023\ installieren.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2023.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --mode unattended --unattendedmodeui none --Serial blah-my-serial-blah --LDFChoice licenseID

MacOS:

You will need to first launch the installer .dmg file, which will open a volume called “Vectorworks 2023 Installer” in your finder. 

From the Mac Terminal, type in the following command:

sudo /Volumes/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2023.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --unattendedmodeui none --mode unattended --Serial EJMUSN-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX --installdir <install directory goes here, usually "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023"> --sysUsername <the system user for which Vectorworks is being installed> --LDFChoice licenseID

Just in case it saves anyone else the trouble it caused me, the installation directory is written incorrectly. 

<install directory goes here, usually "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023">

should be

<install directory goes here, usually "/Applications/Vectorworks\ 2023">

The space wasn’t escaped properly, and the command won’t process because of it. I did remove the <“”>, but I wasn’t paying enough attention to everything else. 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:38 AM, Gerard Corr said:

Hi Folks, has anyone got a fool proof way of installing via JAMF to machines in labs with multiple users?

I used JAMF composer to create an installer package. 

You will need to have an Apple developer account to sign the package. You put that into the composer preferences/settings. 

You will then need to make a post-installation script by right clicking on the script folder in the new installer package you’re making. In the post-install script, make sure to include the terminal command above and edit it properly for your systems. 

I also included a command to remove the installer app once the install was done. 

The post-install script is a bash script, so all the normal variables will work. For my systems, in the “—sysUsername” I enter $USER

Hope that helps 

On 3/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, Gerard Corr said:

Hi Folks, has anyone got a fool proof way of installing via JAMF to machines in labs with multiple users?

This is the script I currently use with Jamf Pro. This makes the install available via the Jamf Self Service App.

It requires some prep work (as others have mentioned) to create a package with Jamf Composer, upload the package to your Jamf instance and create the required policies.

The script then performs checks and fires the policies and commands required.

• It sets permissions on the App folder for the current user
    • It sets our login settings (license server address) via a here doc
    • It adds the App icon to the dock using DockUtil

I have been frustrated with the lack of official documentation on this (please do point me in the direction of it if I'm missing it!). I would greatly like to set various preferences using Jamf (default backup location settings, for example) but have been unable to find an easy way of doing this. So far I'm exploring a hacky scripted xml edit using xmlstarlet, but this is a horrible way of doing it 😬

I'm curious as to what the --optionfile argument is used for, but can't find any documentation on this either.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough 🤔

#!/bin/bash

####################################################################################################
    #
    # Install Vectorworks 2023 using Jamf Pro
    #
    ####################################################################################################
    #
    # Required preparation
    #
    #   Download the Vectorworks 2023 Installer from your Vectorworks customer portal: https://customers.vectorworks.net/downloads
    #   Mount the Vectorworks2023-SP5-702742-SeriesBEG-installer2-osx.dmg
    #   Locate "Vectorworks 2023 Installer.app" and copy it to the Jamf Waiting Room: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/
    #   Use Jamf Composer to build a "Vectorworks 2023 Installer.pkg" using "Vectorworks 2023 Installer.app" im Waiting Room
    #   Upload the Vectorworks 2023 Installer.pkg to Jamf
    #   Create a Jamf Pro Policy that will install "Vectorworks 2023 Installer.pkg" to the client machine
    #   Upload this script to Jamf Pro
    #   Create another Policy (prefereably one that uses swiftDialog) to add this script to Jamf Self Service
    #

#
    # Global Variables
    #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    # Script Version and Jamf Pro Script Parameters
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

# Set the environment paths
    # Sets the path so that we can directly call Jamf binaries and DockUtil without specifying the full path every time.
    export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/jamf/bin:/usr/local/bin

# Define a Jamf Binary variable for reuse
    jamfBinary="/usr/local/bin/jamf"

# Sets the current username variable
    currentUser=$(scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/  && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }')

# Variable required by DockUtil

homedir=$( dscl . read /Users/$currentUser NFSHomeDirectory | awk -F ': ' '{print $2}' )
    dockplist="$homedir/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist"
    dockutil="/usr/local/bin/dockutil"

#
    # Main Functions
    #

# Adds the Vectorworks App Icon to the Dock

addToDock() {
    	if [ -e '/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Vectorworks 2023.app' ]; then
        	echo "Adding Vectorworks 2023 App Icon to Dock"
    		sudo -u ${currentUser} $dockutil --add "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Vectorworks 2023.app" --position end $dockplist
        else
        	echo "Vectorworks 2023 App does not appear to be installed - Aborting Add To Dock."
        fi
    }

# Runs the Jamf Pro Policy that will fetch our Vectorworks Installer Package from Jamf and place it in the Applications Folder

downloadInstaller() {
    	if [ ! -e '/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Vectorworks 2023.app' ] && [ ! -e '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Vectorworks 2023 Installer.app' ]; then
    		$jamfBinary policy -trigger fetch-vw2023-installer
        else
        	echo "Vectorworks 2023 is already installed or the Installer app is already present in Waiting Room"
        fi
    }

# Runs the silent install command

runSilentInstall() {
    	if [ -e '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Vectorworks 2023 Installer.app' ] && [ ! -e '/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Vectorworks 2023.app' ]; then        
            /Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Waiting\ Room/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer.app/Contents/Resources/installer/Install\ Vectorworks2023.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder.sh --mode unattended --unattendedmodeui minimal --installdir "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023" --Serial 123456-123456-123456-123456 --sysUsername "$currentUser" --LDFChoice licenseID
        else
        	echo "Vectorworks 2023 may already be installed or the Installer app does not appear to be present in Waiting Room."
    	fi
    }

#
    # Post Install Configurations
    #

# Sets our organisation's required configurations

setConfiguration() {
    	if [ ! -e "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Settings/SeriesG" ]; then
    		mkdir -p "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Settings/SeriesG"
        	chown -R "$currentUser":staff "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023"
    	fi

echo "Setting the LoginDialog.xml file"
    	# Name and path of the file to generate.
    	OUTFILE="/Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Settings/SeriesG/LoginDialog.xml"

# -----------------------------------------------------------
    # 'Here document containing the body of the generated script.
    (
    cat <<'EOF'
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
    <LoginDialog>

<Days>1</Days>

<AutoFindServer>0</AutoFindServer>

<AutoFindMaxTime>1</AutoFindMaxTime>

<DontShowAtStartup>0</DontShowAtStartup>

<Servers>
        <Server>licenseserver.com:5053</Server>
      </Servers>

<Modules>
        <MainModule>architect</MainModule>
      </Modules>

</LoginDialog>
    EOF
    ) > "$OUTFILE"
    # -----------------------------------------------------------
    }

# Sets user permissions for the current user on the Vectorworks application folder.
    # This is required so that the user can download libraries without any permissions warnings

setFolderPermissions() {
    	if [ -e '/Applications/Vectorworks 2023' ]; then
    		# sets read & write permission for current user
    		chmod -R +a "$currentUser allow list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity" "/Applications/Vectorworks 2023"
    	fi
    }

# Removes the installer app from Waiting Room now that we're done with it

cleanup() {
    	if [ -e '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Vectorworks 2023.app' ]; then
    		echo "Cleaning up installer app"
    		rm -rf /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/Vectorworks\ 2023\ Installer.app
        else
        	echo "Vectorworks 2023 Installer App does not appear to be present in Waiting Room."
        fi
    }

#
    # Run It All
    #

downloadInstaller
    runSilentInstall

setConfiguration
    setFolderPermissions

addToDock

#cleanup

exit 0

On 10/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tim Ardoin said:

I'd like to add that it took numerous tries over several hours to figure out the new installation flags for the 2023 version. For the US-G licenses, It would have been extremely helpful to learn that the --LDFChoice licenseID AND the --licenseID flags are required. Otherwise, you will get installation error messages.

There is ZERO mention of --licenseID for Silent Installation Instructions in this forum post. Can the VW team work to improve the information to the IT Pros for silent installation? Silent installation is a necessity for learning labs in enterprise or campus environments. This is the format that worked for me:

"Install Vectorworks2023.exe" --mode unattended --unattendedmodeui none --debuglevel 4 --debugtrace VLogFile.log --Serial xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx --installdir "C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2023" --licenseID US-xxxxxx --LDFChoice licenseID

• Administrator

@ForumGuySG Thank you for sharing the format that worked for you. I will pass this information on to our teams to make sure we improve our documentation in the future. Thanks again!

• Like 1