• Unity® Based Nomad and Web View

JuanP

What is Unity and how does it support Nomad and Web View?

Unity is a cross-platform game engine, developed by Unity Technologies and is used to create 3D and 2D games, as well as interactive simulations and other experiences. Vectorworks use of Unity Technologies’ gaming engine provides a re-design and re-engineer to Nomad’s 3D and AR viewers, and Web View so that Vectorworks 3D models with complex geometry can be successfully viewed and interacted with greater performance (speed). Using Unity for Nomad and Web View also provides consistent user interface and feature set regardless of the platform they use to view their model – Mobile/Tablet, Desktop, Web, etc.

Benefits of using Unity game engine for Nomad and Web View:

• Designers can now view large 3D models and do a walkthrough of more complex models creating a better presentation experience that can help them win more work.
    • Designers help clients make decisions faster by sharing complex models with them via Web View.
    • Designers can save time clarifying design intent with contractors through more efficient sharing options via Web View.
    • Designers can now collaborate interactively on complex and large projects.
    • The more intuitive and easier to use navigation on Nomad and Web View allows designers and their clients to more quickly learn how to use it.

Who will benefit from Unity® Based Nomad and Web View?

• Vectorworks customers who use Nomad or generate Web Views.
    • Clients or collaborators of Vectorworks customers.

Important to Remember

• Export Web View has been replaced in Vectorworks 2022 SP3 to Export VGX. For customers with customized workspaces you will need to add the Export VGX command from the Workspace editor.
    • Nomad and Web View is available to everyone, Vectorworks Service Select customers and non- Vectorworks Service Select customers.
    • Web View is accessible to anyone with internet access (including non-Vectorworks users such as clients) but is created from the Vectorworks interface via the “Export VGX” command.
    • Vectorworks Service select provides 20 GB storage vs 2 GB for non-Vectorworks Service Select customers.
    • Like 5

Report Article

User Feedback

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thank you for bringing up these issues.

Branding for all cloud stored and shared files can be set via:

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/account/ (Branding section) 

We are open for suggestions on how to make the new Web View work better. What items in the interface would need improvements?

Meanwhile we will investigate the missing geometry. 

11 hours ago, mcochran7 said:

I am not happy about the change in Web View,  I use this feature often..  it was a simple way to communicate with clients and technicians,  it was easily branded with Company logo so it looks slick. 

Like this: https://tinyurl.com/y7vuwwhp

The new interface is Terrible,  not very intuitive,  and some geometry is missing;  

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/links/11ecafc3ad270371ba2e0e94425bea9f/

Hello @mcochran7 Can you email the VWX file to us so we can investigate this?

17 hours ago, mcochran7 said:

some geometry is missing

Comparing the https://tinyurl.com/y7vuwwhp and https://cloud.vectorworks.net/links/11ecafc3ad270371ba2e0e94425bea9f/, I think the planar geometry is missing, which is not yet supported by the new viewer. 

There is a way for you to continue to use the old viewer while we work on adding support for planar geometry. 

You can bring back the old Export Web View menu command from the Workspace editor. When you upload the .vgx file to the Vectorworks Cloud Services web portal, it will open it with the old viewer.

I hope that helps! 

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 2.11.34 PM.png

• Like 2

Hi. 

I have Vectorworks 2022 SP3.1 (Architect, Fundamentals, Renderworks), but cant see an export to .VGX option.  What licence do you need to access this new feature? 

Thanks in advance

• Administrator

@RefurbRich01 "For customers with customized workspaces you will need to add the Export VGX command from the Workspace editor." Try this and let me know. 

My experience is that the navigation is very luggy and hard to do by us as architects, but mainly our clients.

Is there any progression expected?

Or a light version to export?

Hi @Johan de Groot • LYVR,

Would you please clarify which aspects of the navigation you find difficult? We spent a lot of effort on the navigation and would like to hear how you think it can be made easier. We are actively working on numerous improvement of the viewer and will be happy to include navigation improvements in our upcoming iteratiiterations.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova 

@Johan de Groot • LYVR is it okay if I give you a ring tomorrow (dus op donderdag 21/7) to discuss this? Same timezone & language might help (not affiliated to VW, just a happy customer & Nomad user 🤓🤙) #nerdalert

Cheers, JB

Edited by jbtroost
    • Like 1
    • Love 1
    On 7/20/2022 at 9:08 AM, Johan de Groot • LYVR said:

My experience is that the navigation is very luggy and hard to do by us as architects, but mainly our clients.

Is there any progression expected?

Or a light version to export?

Was mainly the browser being used by their clients. Changing to Chrome had the models navigate smoother compared to other browsers. The QR link with exporting to webview also helped in presenting with Nomad. 

Question: where did the shadow option go when using 2022 for exporting webiews? I couldn’t find it. Maybe somewhere in the Settings, Legacy Options?

Edited by jbtroost

@jbtroost Thank you for your help!

Yes, my experience with Chrome is also the best when it comes to viewer performance. Other browsers are not as optimized as Chrome. 

I don't think there was ever an export setting that relates to shadows. It is in the viewer - in the Settings panel.

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if I could help with anything else.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova 

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.41.14 PM.png

• Like 1